Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Intro to Bum Rolls



I know it sounds totally silly, but bum rolls are the best. I do not profess to know the whole history and such of them, but they are basically used to give your skirt some oomph.

For example, here is my behind without a bum roll.


And here it is with a bum roll.


It's like an old-school booty-pop.

For any sort of costume or skirt that requires a bit of scaffolding around the mid-section, they are the way to go. No need to make a complicated bustle skirt when you can tuck a bum roll under a pleated or gathered skirt for much the same effect, and much less hassle.

Even if you have the skill, time, and energy to make a full bustle skirt, a bum roll will still give it that extra pop that the style demands.

Best part is, they are crazy easy to make.

You will need:

  • a few yards or scrap fabric (or 2-3 old t-shirts)
  • scissors
  • a needle and thread
  • ribbon or string
You can make these a few different sizes and such, but the method remains the same. The one I am wearing wraps from the front of my hips around, with only a small section missing in the front, across my stomach. I wear it under Renaissance-style costumes. You can also make these so they just sit directly above your bottom, to go for a more Victorian look. They can be as large or small as you want.

Step one: Measure how long you want your bum roll to be.

Step two: Fold 2/3 (or 2 of your t-shirts) to this length.

Step three: Fold the remaining 1/3 so it is about 4 inches shorter. Place it on top of the longer fabric, in the center.

Step four: Roll all of your fabric together, as tight as you can, and pin in place.

Step five: Hand sew along this line, with doubled thread for strength. **It does not matter if your stitches are pretty, no one will see them.**

Step six: Sew a length of ribbon onto each end, long enough that you can tie the roll just below your waist.

Step seven: Wear and enjoy!


2 comments:

  1. Not sure I'd want to make my rear look bigger, but this is definitely an interesting post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hadn't ever heard of a bum roll before. And not sure I actually want to make my bum look bigger. LOL. However I can totally understand why you would want to if you're looking for a certain style.

    Konstanz Silverbow
    nothoughts2small.blogspot.com
    A-to-Z April Blogging Challenge
    http://www.a-to-zchallenge.com

    ReplyDelete